Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Lost Art of Gardening

Gardening is one of those hobbies that sounds good to me until I actually have to take care of and water the plants everyday.  Never mind having to wait months for something to grow.  Patience is definitely not my strong point.  So every year I am amazed when Grandpa George, in the middle of the back row below, who is 90-plus-years-old has a garden that could feed a small army.

Grandpa George, The Gardener

To me this looks like ovegrown weeds, but clearly I do not have gardening vision.

I recognize these as tomato plants, but again my commitment issues flare up at just the sight.

These plants produced a ton of tomatoes despite the lack of rain.  Guess George holds the secret!
Then I see this and my eyes light up thinking about all of the wonderful dishes that will taste so much better with these homegrown tomatoes.


Look closely - can you tell what this is going to be?

A waternelon that was planted from the seeds of a watermelon from last year.  Simply amazing!



 A baby watermelon

Every year he says he is not going to plant a garden, and every year he does, and then it produces such a plentiful harvest.  We are so lucky to have such a green thumb in the family!

No comments:

Post a Comment