Monday, April 30, 2012

Better Late Than Never - Carrot Cake


So some weeks I am just a procrastinator, and others I am like a dog when it sees a squirrel.  Either way I have been meaning to post this cake I made at Easter, but time got away from me.  Over the years I have tried several Carrot Cake recipes, but this one, pardon the pun, takes the cake.


This looks so delicious that I may have to make it again!


The key ingredients.


The first time I made carrot cake I actually grated 3 cups of carrots.  My fingers and nails were orange for several days.  I learned to buy pre-shredded carrots and lightly chop them in the food processor to avoid the Oompa Loompa look.


This what your mixture should look like right before you add the carrots.


Then I added the carrots.  Thanks NN for the glass bowl for my mixer!


Because it was my perogative I decided to make 2 8-inch round cakes.


Oooh so pretty and they smell sooo good!


Now comes the best part - the icing!


Butter and Cream Cheese - could it get any better?


Yes,  with the addition of powdered sugar!


One word...YUM!


Carrot Cake
(Adapted from Sigrid's Carrot Cake a la the Pioneer Woman)

For the Cake:
2 C Sugar
1 C Vegetable Oil
4 Eggs
2 C Flour
1/2 t Salt
1 t Baking Soda
1 t Baking Powder
1 t Cinnamon
13 oz Grated Carrots

For the Icing:
12 oz Cream Cheese
12 oz (1.5 sticks) Butter
1 lb Powdered Sugar
3 t Vanilla
1 C Finely Chopped Pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together the sugar oil and eggs in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.  Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture in a couple of batches mixing thoroughly.  Add the carrots and mix well.

Pour into greased pan of your choice and place in the oven.  For my 2 eight inch round cakes it took about 25-30 minutes to cook completely.  You may have to adjust the oven temperature or time depending on cake size.

Cool completely.

Cream together the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl.  Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla to the mixture.  Last add the nuts.

Spread over cooled cake, and according to the Pioneer Woman you should eat, faint, and repeat!

Have a Great Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment