Monday, March 5, 2012

Even a Blind Squirrel Finds a Nut - Homemade Butterfingers

Some days I see ideas on food blogs and think I can make them, but really should know better.  One fall day last year I saw an awesome idea of making candy-corns with homemade butterfinger filling.  The basic idea was to make the butterfinger inside with candy corns and peanut butter, and then dip triangle-shaped pieces into yellow, orange and white candy melts.  Apparently I hated it all so much that I didn't even keep the recipe, and I have tried searching the internet to no avail.  So this is how I salvaged this minor disaster.


This is the mixture after I melted everything and froze it.  I was so hopeful at this point!  And it really does taste like butterfinger.


I put my pieces on the sticks ready to be all I am Queen of Awesome Halloween Treats.  It was short reign.  I despise working with candy melts and if anyone needs some they are still sitting in my pantry because I have vowed to never use them again.


So a few weeks ago I decided it was time to pull the remaining butterfinger insides out of the freezer and dip them in chocolate bark. 


The result was simply delicious! And now the Nutrition Nazi's inner fat kid is running around eating 6 at a time.  Man I wish I had his metabolism!  So are you ready for this super hard recipe?


Homemade Butterfingers

3C (24 oz) Candy Corn
1-1.5 C  Peanut Butter
1 pkg Chocolate Bark/Candy Coating  (or whatever you want to dip them in)

Melt candy corn in microwave in 30 second intervals until melted, stirring in between.  There is a fine line between melted and oh crap this bowl is trash because this will never come out, so don't let it get away from you.  Next add the peanut butter and stir together.  Pour into a baking dish to set up and cool.  I believe I used either an 8x8, but totally your choice on thickness.  Once cooled I put in the freezer overnight and then dipped in melted chocolate the next day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment