Monday, March 19, 2012

Homemade Pasta Sauce

Several years ago I decided to learn some of the Nutrition Nazi's family recipes because I am a good family member like that!  One of the first recipes that I learned from NN's mom was Pasta Sauce.  This recipe used to seem a little daunting to me, but once I figured out how to plan for it as well as changed up the original recipe to my specific tastes, things went a lot smoother.  Now that I have been making this for years I am extremely hesitant to even purchase a jar of spaghetti sauce, let alone serve it to NN.  It is almost like staging a mutiny in his opinion.


These are the ingredients that you will need to make this delicious sauce!


I have standing disclaimer about my photography so please keep it in mind.  First saute the onions and bell pepper until they are translucent and wilted over medium heat.


The Nutrition Nazi family adds garlic to almost everything, so why should this be any different?  Add the boat-load of garlic to the onions and pepper.


Next add the tomatoes, sauce, and paste to the mixture and stir very well.


Now comes the best addition in my opinion - the wine.  My mother-in-law uses water in her recipe, but I thought this might be a fun change.  I typically add about half the bottle, and then let the wonderful aroma fill the house!  I only use Dynamite cab because of the awesome flavor that it gives the sauce.


Next add all the seasonings and stir very well.  The mixture generally needs to cook on low heat for at least 3 hours, but the longer you cook it, the better the flavor!


After all the waiting the sauce is finally done and ready to enjoy!

Pasta Sauce
 

Diced Tomatoes – 2-28 oz cans (56 oz total)
Tomato Sauce – 2-28 oz cans (56 oz total)
Tomato Paste – 2-12oz cans (24 oz total)
2 Onions, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
2-3 Bulbs Garlic, chopped
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
2-4 T Oregano
Salt
Pepper, a pinch
2+ T Brown Sugar
1 Red Pepper Flake Packet (probably about a 1/2 -1 tsp)
2 C Red Wine (Cabernet Sauvignon – Dynamite)


Cover bottom of a large stock pot with olive oil and heat over medium heat.  Add onions and peppers to oil, and sauté until wilted, then immediately stir in garlic. 

Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste and stir to combine thoroughly.  Stir in red wine, and add more if necessary to thin out sauce.
      
Reduce heat to simmer and sprinkle garlic powder and onion powder to cover top of sauce twice.  Sprinkle salt to cover the top of the mixture and add a pinch of pepper. Sprinkle 2-4 Tbsp of oregano, depending on your taste.  Lastly add brown sugar and red pepper flake.

Cook over low heat for at least 3 hours, stirring well occasionally.  After the sauce is done you can serve it immediately or put it in mason jars for later.  The heat from the sauce will seal itself, so there is no messy canning, etc involved.  This particular recipe makes about 3-4 jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment