Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Another Hard-Head on the Family Tree

In the last update I mentioned that Brady had finally been moved to NICU 2.  Now we get to have much more interaction with him including taking him out of the isolette, changing diapers, checking his temperature to make sure he is still able to regulate himself, and holding him for more than 30 minutes at a time.  In NICU 2 the nurses and occupational therapists are helping us and Brady prepare for when he comes home.

With each passing day he is doing better, but we have to keep reminding ourselves that this is not a short process and that we must be patient, which is not always easy when all we want is to have him home.  Over the weekend they gave him a diuretic to clear out the remaining water on his lungs and regulate his respirations, which was the last hurdle before he could start bottle feeding.  He lost a little weight, but hopefully will start to put it back on now that the diuretic is finished.  

This is usually how we find our little one when we arrive.  He looks so peaceful snuggled into his isolette.

Brady loves his snuggle bean bag.  Many times when he is on his side the nurses put it on him and  he wraps his arms around the top part.

He is very fascinated with his hands.  I am terrified he is going to scratch his eye, but they don't allow mittens in the isolette. 

The Nutrition Nazi is all about the videos.  And for the record in the video I was not drunk when I looked back, I was actually looking to see which of Brady's vitals had tripped an alarm.

 I think he is afraid I might actually try and give him the dreaded pacifier by the way he is eyeing it!  He    learned early on that it was a lost cause!

One of our first family photos...rockin our stylish yellow NICU gowns, no less!

On Sunday he finally got the go ahead front the neonatologist to start bottle feeding since his respirations had become more steady.  Luckily the nurse was there to help us because feeding a preemie is very different from feeding a term baby.  It took her a while to get him started on it.  Since up to this point he had only been tube fed, this is actual work for him to eat now.

And our hard-headed son was not pleased at all with bottle feeding.  I kept waiting for him to start shouting expletives based on the look I was getting, but luckily he didn't...yet.  Each time they or we have tried to bottle feed him he clamps his lips shut and refuses to eat.  We keep telling him that it is the last hurdle to breaking free of the NICU, but he is lazy and does not seem to be interested.  I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

We would like to thank you all for your continued prayers and thoughts.  I don't think we will ever be able to fully express our gratitude for all of the wonderful people we have been blessed to have in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment