Sunday, June 24, 2012

Why So Serious?


My boss said it best when he told me that I was probably going to discover that my pregnancy and baby were two things in life that I could not control, after I had to tell him that I was going to need to work from home due to high blood pressure.  As many of you know me and my BFF Type A did not take being on house arrest well!  I could never have imagined the emotional roller coaster having a preemie in the NICU takes you on, but I could also never have imagined how wonderful complete strangers ( the nurses) could be.  In life we have two choices in that we can laugh or cry, and God knows  I have done my fair share of crying, but we make our best effort to laugh as often as possible and usually at my own expense.

The past week has brought continued progress in Brady's life.  He now weighs 4 lbs 5 oz as of Saturday night.  Brady has been working very hard on learning bottle feeding, and we have been working with the occupational therapists to learn the correct way to feed him.  We learned that the original bottle they were feeding him with made him feel like he was drowning so he would shut down quickly when offered a bottle.  They gave him a Playtex VentAir bottle with a super slow flow nipple and things clicked for him.  He actually is taking several full feeds from a bottle now.  Since they still consider him little, it is probably going to be a few more weeks before he comes home, but we can't wait!


He looks so sweet when he falls asleep in my arms!


 Working on his bottle feeding skills.  I look much happier than he does about it all, but at least he is trying, gripey or not.


The occupational therapist showed me a trick for burping him where you put two fingers under his arm and another finger to hold his face, but the Nutrition Nazi says it looks like I am choking him.  Thanks for the support NN.


Though Brady is starting to bulk up a little he is still tiny in NN's arms.


This look tells me that this is definitely my child.  He is serious as a heart attack when he looks at me sometimes.  NN was actually trying to get a picture of him smiling, but this is how it all worked out.


'Dude, please tell me you washed your hands before touching anywhere near my mouth' is what I think this look says.  I am very concerned that he is already smarter than I am.

Thank you again for your continued support and prayers!  Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment