Wednesday, October 26, 2011

NN's Turkey Chili (Tutorial)

I think I have documented well my lack of enthusiasm for anything healthy.  I LOVE dessert, especially chocolate.  So I guess it is the perfect marriage - I love to bake and well he is the Nutrition Nazi, most days.  Every now and then I can sneak a corn dog or two as a meal, but it is definitely rare.  

Try as I may I cannot argue that healthy eating habits promote a healthier me.  Now I am not one to accept sub-standard anything, and you can ask my husband about the half-poodle he swore he would never own, but that he is probably wrestling with right now for proof.  So that being said I like healthy food that tastes good.  To most people this seems impossible, but to those of us well-versed in getting our ways, come hell or high water, let me show you the way to NNs Turkey Chili and you too may just believe.



NN's Key Players


The first step is to chop onions and jalapenos.  Size does not matter, in this case, so cut them however big or small you like.


Then add chopped onions and jalapenos to a pan pre-heated to medium heat with a light coating of non-stick cooking spray.  It already smells so good!


Next add the turkey meat and combine with onions and jalapenos. Yes I know it looks plain, but just wait for it.


Now sprinkle half of the seasoning mixture of cumin, coriander, and chili powder over the meat.  Now we are starting to get somewhere!


Once the meat is about half way done sprinkle the remaining seasoning mixture over the meat.


Once the meat is done cooking create a well in the center and spoon the tomato paste into the pan.  The heat will help soften the paste to combine with the meat.


See...nicely combined with the meat.  Yes it took me a while to figure this out, so pay attention and don't be like me.


Now it is time to add the 2 cans of diced tomatoes.  Since we are trying to be healthy, look for the cans that do not have added salt.  Your body will thank you later by not bloating up something fierce.


Last necessary step I promise.  Add the black beans and garbanzo beans.  At this point I usually just put a lid on it and turn the heat to simmer and let it sit for an hour or whatever I have on my hands.


However since I love my darling husband so much I decided to break out the crock pot and let the chili simmer for about 6 hours or so.


And this is what healthy eating looks like!  (Note: Cornbread is not NN approved, but it is not his blog so I photographed it.)  We usually only have cornbread one in every six times we eat this. I actually got my mother-in-law to eat this while we were living with her and NN's stepdad.  I would like to state for the record that this is the same place I would come home to and the Team Leader would smell like she had been deep-fried.  I'm just sayin!


NN's TURKEY CHILI

3/4C  Onion, Chopped
1/4C  Sliced Jalapenos, Chopped
1.5t    Cumin
1.5t    Coriander
1.5t    Chili Powder
20oz   Extra Lean Ground Turkey
1 can  Tomato Paste (6 oz)
1can   Black Beans (15 oz)
1 can  Garbanzo Beans (16 oz)
2 cans Diced Tomatoes (14.5 oz each)

Preheat pan over medium heat.  Chop onions and jalapenos to desired consistency, and set aside.  Combine cumin, coriander, and chili powder into a small bowl.  Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray, and then add onions and jalapenos.  Next add the ground turkey meat to the pan and combine with onions and jalapenos.  Add about half of the seasoning mixture and stir to coat meat.  Once the meat is halfway through the cooking process add the rest of the seasoning mixture.

Once the meat is cooked add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and beans to the meat, making sure to stir very well after each addition.  Transfer the chili to a crock pot or let simmer on the stove for at least an hour.  Serve with cornbread.


No comments:

Post a Comment