Monday, August 8, 2011

NN's Birthday Weekend

Because it's Monday and I am running behind, and because I love my mom and she asked, I am deviating from house posts today and posting some pics from NN's birthday at the riverhouse, and the recipe for his birthday cake.  Hopefully I will have some more house pics soon.  Also one of these days I am going to post pics of the baking process.  Someday.


The birthday boy opening his presents.  He says that his birthday should be celebrated all month long.  I told him not to hold his breath on that one.


They only posed for this because I threatened everyone with the 'no cake if you don't do what I say' tool I like to use to get things done.  Seems to work well.


She's not spoiled at all,


She just knows what she wants!


Handsome man and his grandpa sitting on a pretty comforter.


Tollhouse Cake

1  Box Yellow Cake Mix
2  Tubs of Chocolate Frosting
1-2 Bags of Mini Chocolate Chips
1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar

Make cake as directed on package for 2 8-inch round cakes. 

Once they have cooled completely, then slice the cakes in half horizontally, so that you now have 4 layers of cake.  Place the first layer on the plate and frost with chocolate icing.  Now the next step is to sprinkle the top of the layer with the mini chocolate chips, but you could also mix them into the frosting first, your choice.  Repeat this process for the remaining layers.  If you have not already done so, frost the sides of the cake.  Once that is complete, pat the brown sugar onto the sides.  Place in the fridge to setup, and it seems it actually worked better all around to keep it in the fridge. 

A word of caution is that this cake fools you into thinking you need a huge piece.  WRONG!  A little goes a long way because of all the chocolate chips in the icing layers.  Milk is strongly encouraged!

*Now I know some of you may be shocked at the 'boxed' ingredients, but some times it is not worth the extra effort.  How ever if you feel compelled to make this from scratch, I will be happy to come over and eat a piece with you!*

No comments:

Post a Comment